Yeld: 12 people
Preparation time: 3 hours
Oven: 180° for 30 minutes
Ingredients for cake batter:
- 250g flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons store-bought or homemade pumpkin pie spice*
- 240ml canola or vegetable oil* → Margarine?
- 200ml Neggst
- 200g packed light or dark brown sugar
- 100g granulated sugar
- 400g can pumpkin puree
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- some physalis for decoration
Ingredients for the cream cheese frosting:
- 224g vegan cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 115g unsalted vegan butter or margarine, softened to room temperature
- 360g confectioners’ sugar, plus an extra 1/4 cup if needed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Let’s first prepare the cake batter by whisking in a large bowl flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Take another bowl and whisk the oil, Neggst, brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin, and vanilla extract together until combined. At this point pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until completely combined (or you can use the mixer to make it easier). Spread batter into the prepared pan and bake it for about 30 minutes at 180° (as there are different ovens, keep an eye on it and in case rely on the toothpick trick to check if it is cooked 😉). Let the cake cool down, you can put it in the fridge or, if you are living in a cold country like us, also outside should be fine.
In the meantime we can start preparing the frosting: in a big bowl whisk with a mixer the vegan cream cheese and the margarine. Add 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and salt and mix again for 3 minutes. If you want the frosting a little thicker, add the extra 1/4 cup of confectioners sugar.
Spread the frosting on the cooled cake and decorate it with some delicious physalis. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and you are ready to serve it.